Our Chapter's History
Freedom Hill Chapter, NSDAR, was organized on December 6, 1947, in McLean, Virginia. Mrs. Maud Rogers Rynex was the Organizing Regent. There were fourteen charter members.
In December 2017, our chapter celebrated our 70th anniversary, and we are now over 200 members strong.
the name "freedom hill"
The chapter is named after the location of the first Fairfax County Court House ("Old CH" on the map above), which was built on Freedom Hill in 1742. This land was deeded to the county by William Fairfax, the agent for, and cousin of, Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron. Lord Fairfax owned over five million acres of land between the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers.
Ancestors of several of the charter members lived in this area. In 1752, the Court House was abandoned because of Indian hostilities in the area. The Court House was moved to Alexandria for a short time and then re-established in the village of Providence, now Fairfax.